Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Judge Not

If you have been watching the news lately, you have seen two stories of powerful men who had great falls. As a result of these stories there have been lots of debate about the judgement of these men. Judgement is something I hate, as a matter of fact I've gotten into many discussions with friends about judgement. I hate being judged, but after reading these stories it made me start to think more about judgement and what it really means. I, like these men, have had some great failures. Luckily for me, it wasn't broadcast for the world to see, but it still felt like the world was judging me. Does anyone have the right to judge? If you are a "believer" then you probably believe that judgement should be left to God. I agree with this too, but I also think that as believers or friends for that matter we should be able to call people out on their wrongdoing. Especially when it might prevent them from making the same mistake twice. I think we often learn, unfortunately, from our mistakes and the consequences we suffer as a result of these mistakes. The next thing I've been battling is forgiveness. If you forgive someone and choose not to associate with them anymore or in the same way, does that mean you haven't really forgiven or that you are judging them or their behavior? I don't think so. Sometimes, when you forgive, you forgive and move on. Sometimes when you disapprove of someone's behavior it doesn't mean that you are sentencing them to judgement, sometimes it means you have turned them over to the universe. Sometimes you recognize that the battle is not yours. Like, I said earlier I have had some great failures, and I am thankful for God's forgiveness, but I also know that I have to be and will be held accountable for my actions. I am a survivor of abuse, most of my friends know this, because it is not a source of shame for me. I have forgiven my abuser, but I still find it very hard to associate with this person. The biggest reason is because they have not acknowledged their wrongdoing. The other reason is because it doesnt make me feel good and makes me feel unsafe when I am around this person. The judgement for their actions will be left to God. However, I am free because I have forgiven them and moved on. When people tell you how to forgive and that you shouldn't judge, aren't they essentially judging you? My point is, we all judge in some form or another, but the ultimate judgement is left to God. Back to the two men in the news...we in society should not forget that we are all guilty of sin and we all have fallen short, but these men must acknowledge that they abused trust and power. If we choose to not hold them in a position of power anymore, that is our right. We shouldn't throw rocks but we definitely don't have to continue to shower them with praise, especially when they are blatantly wrong. Just as I had to suffer consequences for my behavior, so must these men. Just as I have been restored so can these men. My biggest prayer is that these failures cause these men to turn their eyes completely towards God, because clearly they took their eye off the prize. God has a way of making us acknowledge who He is and that He is he all powerful. He will humble us in our weakness and sin. If we are smart, we will get the lesson and repent to sin no more. Isn't it a blessing that God is our ultimate judge and that the Blood of Jesus is here to save us? Thank God we don't have to rely on man for that. Personally, I have learned to forgive because it frees me, most importantly I forgive because I want to be forgiven. I try not to judge because I don't want to be judged. I remove myself from situations because the battle is not mine, and it is not my load to bear. I pray because I want to hear from God and do what He would have me to do, not what you would have me to do. My level of forgiveness is between me and God, so judge not, lest ye be judged.

For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each one may receive what is due for what he has done in the body, whether good or evil. 2Corinthians 5:10

No comments:

Post a Comment