Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Having the patience of Chilean Miners...

I'm sure everyone is watching the amazing rescue of the 33 miners in Chile. I am not just amazed at the rescue, but at how they survived for 69 days, a half-mile under the earth! My goodness, what faith these men must have! And if there was one (or two, or three) who didn't have faith, what faith the others must have had to keep them encouraged and believing that help is on the way. I'm sure you have all heard sermons about, "He may not come when you want him to, but he is always right on time." Over the past 19 years, which is the extent of my adult life, I have heard that statement in church and from family and friends. Depending on the various trials, especially the RA, friends and family always encouraged me of the miraculous nature of God. Trust me I don't doubt the miracles of God, but I personally believe that God doesn't perform OUR miracles, but HIS miracles (ponder that). Also, I personally believe in order for God to perform his miracle or bless us, we have to do our part. When Jesus healed the Leper, the Leper had to approach him and ask. When Simon and Jesus caught an abundance of fish, Simon had to be obedient and go out deeper into the water. Even when Jesus turned water into wine, Mary had to urge him to first fill the pots with water. In order for the miners to be rescued, they had to be patient. In order for me to maintain my mobility and minimize daily pain and remain independent, I have to take care of myself and take my medicine. Whatever your need is, trust me you have to do your part too. A year ago, I moved to a different city, my marriage had ended, and I started a new career. People ask me all the time, how did you end up THERE? LOL...I always say I guess this is where God wanted me to be. I didn't even apply for the job I came here for, I actually applied for the job in another city. However, it was the perfect job for me to get the training I wanted, so I moved. It hasn't been easy, I am just starting to make social connections and I spend alot of time alone. Yet, this has not been a bad move for me. I have reconnected with alot of my cousins on my father's side of the family, unbeknownst to me I moved literally around the corner from my aunt and uncle, and my daddy is now right up the road. Anyone who knows me, knows I am a daddy's girl (for better or worse), so our relationship has continued to strengthen. The best part of all of this is I have learned how to enjoy my time alone. To paraphrase a character from Eat, Pray, Love, I've learned the "pleasure of nothingness." Also, I am starting to explore interests that I have ( I bought a camera to begin a photography hobby, I've visited art galleries, poetry events, and art festivals, I attended a Toastmaster's club, I am planning to go horseback riding for the first time, and I plan to try Tai Chi!). In addition, I've met some pretty cool people! It hasn't been easy, but I knew if I wanted to be happy here I had to do my part...but trust me there are still days when I am like, "I'm outta here!!" One of my "auntie's" (friends of my mom who LOVE me) told me "don't move too fast baby, you might miss your blessing!" So here I am evolving yet again, growing spiritually, finding new interests, meeting new people, and learning patience (definitely not my strong suit). Now, if I could just get a man! Ha (just kidding, kinda sorta lol)! Luckily, I've learned to trust God in all my circumstance and on the days when my faith is wavering I am blessed to have family and friends whose faith is strong enough to encourage me to remain faithful and to keep moving forward...God Bless the Miners!

I waited patiently for the LORD; he turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the LORD. Psalm40:1-3


Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer Romans12:12

2 comments:

  1. Yes, and I love the King James Version of Psalm 40:2, it states that God brought him UP and also OUT of a horrible pit...that's exactly how God is, two for one...bringing you UP (elevation) and OUT (Escape) from a horrible pit, literal or figurative...so, like the miners, like you, or me, wait patiently on the Lord because He has heard our cry...peace

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes I love this scripture..it's powerful!..patience, sis!

    ReplyDelete