Monday, October 11, 2010

There is a Balm in Gilead!

Let me tell you something...I LOVE music! I grew up in a musical house. While my parents were divorced I couldn't escape either of their musical influences. My daddy used to put me to sleep on Earl Klugh and Grover Washington Jr and as a little tot I had an "air guitar" which daddy and I used to play together while listening to B.B. King! If it wasn't the Elements (Earth, Wind, and Fire in case you grew up under a rock) playing, it was Stevie Wonder, Patti LaBelle, the Parliament Funkateers, Marvin Gaye, James Brown, or some other R&B, Jazz, Funk, Rock great playing in the background of my life. My daddy's musical influence was so heavy I even did a college paper on The Last Poets influence on the civil rights movement (If you don't know who they are google them). My mom exposed me to greats such as Al Jarreau, The Whispers, Aretha Franklin, Bobbi Humphry ( I ended up playing the flute because of this one!), Chaka Khan, and Stephanie Mills to name a few. See I'm a 70's baby of young parents, so I was exposed to alot! My exposure to secular music came from both of my parents, but exposure to gospel music was all momma! In my house when we would get ready for church, clean the house, or whenever my mom would get up music was playing. I admit we were not regular church attendees, but that didn't mean that momma didn't teach me the power of God, the power of prayer, and "who and whose I am." See, I also grew up in a single-parent home, so at times it was nothing but family and God who pulled us through. So I knew who God was, I believed in God. I went to summer bible school, sunday school, and if I stayed with my daddy's momma, oh I was going to church! However, music has always ministered to me! It's something about the soul-stirring sounds of a man or woman who knows God spiritually. The ministry I have received from music has not always come from gospels or hymns, but even from what people would consider secular music (we will get into that later). However, in 1997 when I heard Karen Clark-Sheard sing "Balm in Gilead" it was like I heard the song that would be my own personal anthem for the rest of my life. At this time, I had been dealing with the RA for 5 years. At 22 years of age, this was NOT a good time in my life. Despite, all that I knew about God, my 22 year old mind could not wrap itself around this idea of having a crippling disease. Depression was setting in heavy! Just when I was supposed to be starting my life, it seemed as if my life was ending. Doctors were telling me that this disease would just progress, I would probably have all kinds of surgeries due to my joints becoming deformed, and that I would be on some form of medication for the rest of my life. One doctor even mentioned eventually having to use a wheel chair! Can you imagine??  I was seriously like OMG! I would cry, pray, and sometimes scream "Why God? Why?" I remember my daddy's answer, "why not?" I couldn't appreciate that response at the time. Matter of fact I was pretty pissed off! LOL However, now I understand why he said that to me. "Why not?" indeed. See, we all face various challenges in life. Some are things we can't control, others are the result of choices we make. Regardless, we have to face the challenge we are confronted with. My friends and I face our challenges through sisterhood, friendship, and spirituality. I tell you I have been blessed with some wonderful friends. I'm so thankful for them. Most of all I am thankful they are my spiritual warriors! I'm thankful for my mother who is the best mother in the world, my friend, and my prayer partner. I'm thankful that she knew in 1997, that I needed to hear that Karen Clark-Sheard song. I'm thankful for my dad's musical influence on me that made me appreciate the jazzy sounds of the song enough to pay attention, and my mom's musical influence which made me listen to and appreciate the lyrics. When Karen Clark-Sheard belts out "Jesus is a balm in Gilead, He's a healer! Jesus is a balm in Gilead!" you can't help but feel it in your soul!....So, it is 2010 now. I have been on many medicines for my RA, and will continue to be for the rest of my life, but I am now on some great medicine that has slowed the progress significantly. I am not in a wheelchair and I have only had one surgery. Most importantly, despite my challenges, I am doing better now than I have ever done before. I don't have a crippling disease. I am just like you, I have personal challenges to which I must adapt and rely on my faith and perseverance. Since 1997, I have completed two degrees and I am more independent than ever. And guess what, I don't have any plans of slowing down! So, while I am thankful for the advances in medicine that have allowed me to maintain my independence, I am most thankful that there is a "Balm in Gilead"! He's my healer!! Tomorrow 10/12/10 is National Arthritis Day, make sure you *gently* hug someone you know with arthritis (feel free to send me a virtual hug, if the only person you know is me!). XOXO

If you have never heard "Balm in Gilead" go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5y0mUayAkM&feature=related

"Bless the LORD, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name. Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits: Who forgiveth all thine iniquities; who healeth all thy diseases" Psalm 103:1-3

2 comments:

  1. And yes...there is a Balm in Gilead...there is a healing for your mind, body, and soul...Jehovah Rapha (God Who Heals)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't HE great! I just hope he will use me as a vessel to remind and encourage others!

    ReplyDelete