Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The Little Things...

I love the change of season..especially when summer turns to fall and winter turns to spring. Asides from hating how the winter affects my joints and the dangerous driving conditions, the reason I love the change to the mild seasons is because it is the time of year when I open my windows and let the fresh air in. As a young woman with RA there are many days where the little things mean alot. Being able to open a bottle of water, waking up without any pain, and just God's little blessing of allowing some fresh air in my home are all little things I appreciate so much. RA has definitely been a daily challenge but one thing it did was make me appreciate all the small things that we take for granted. Today was a pretty good day, but I woke up and it was raining. My first thought was here comes the pain! What the "old people" say about the rain is true! However, I got up and got moving without pain...see this is something that most people take for granted. Most people just get up and go and if it is raining their only thoughts may be,"let me make sure I get my umbrella and give myself a little extra time to make it to work on time". Don't get me wrong, I am not looking for a pity party. There are many things that I take for granted. When I pick up a book, turn on the tv, or start my computer I don't think about my being able to see, because I don't have vision problems. When I pick up the phone I don't think about being able to hear the other person on the other end. When I take a deep breath of the fresh air or walk up a flight of stairs I don't think about being short of breath or needing oxygen because I don't have respiratory problems. These are all things that I am blessed to not have to think about, but I am grateful for them. Oprah has talked about "gratitude journals" in the past. In my short life I have learned to keep my own "gratitude journal". Matter of fact, this blog is my public "gratitude journal". What are you grateful for? Whatever we walk with we have to learn to take the good with the bad, the bitter with the sweet, and focus on what IS and not what is NOT. If only I had truly learned this earlier. Oh well, you live and you learn.

(It's the little things) It's the little things
And the joy they bring, it's the little things
(The little things) It's the little things
....India.Arie

...give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.  1Thessalonians 5:18

No comments:

Post a Comment