Saturday, December 11, 2010

Game Over

Competition is meant for sports, jobs, and other aspects of life, but it is not meant for love. If you have to compete in love, you have already lost. I am a single woman, and it is not easy. Last night I was having a moment and I called my mom, and she knew just what to say. The thing I appreciate about my mom is she is willing to share her own experiences, openly and honestly. I think if people were a little more transparent we could see we are not crazy, everyone makes mistakes, and learn from the lessons of others. So I will admit, I have shared a man, sometimes knowingly and sometimes not. We all make excuses, "everyone is doing it...this is just how men are...it's not my problem...if she was keeping him happy he wouldn't be here with me...etc etc" The worst lie we tell ourselves, is that we can do enough, be enough, love enough that he will CHOOSE us. This is the very moment, when you have already lost the game. Once you become a player of the game, you become a loser of the game. Now I am sure there are some folks out there who can give a testimony of how their story didn't turn out that way, there are exceptions to every rule...but 9 times out of 10 you will lose. My mom told me last night don't be so desperate for companionship that you lose yourself or your integrity. Last year, I suffered a really bad hurt. I found out I was in a competition I didn't even know I was in. Honestly, I am still getting over it and the pain that came with it. I couldn't understand, how someone I loved so much, could hurt me so bad. My competitor and I talked and discussed the game we were both a part of it, and to be honest it was pretty sick. However, in the end I lost (or so I thought) because he was choosing her and not me. So through the pain, anger, and tears I have had a lot of time to reflect and evaluate. Often as women, we try to do things that we were not created to do. We try to play the games of "men" (who are really insecure boys) but that is not who we were created to be...so while we try to play the game, we always get played.

Sometimes the competition is not another player, maybe it's a job, emotions, a parent, friends..etc, etc....one thing I have learned in my 36 years is people are always right where they want to be and doing exactly what they want to do. Well, I've played this game way too long, reached all the levels, and my last man has fallen off the cliff...game over! Maybe I'm old school, maybe I believe the man chooses the woman, maybe I believe God created woman as a helpmate for man to cherish, maybe I don't believe in SisterWives (lol)...but whatever it is I know God didn't create me for objectification, degradation, humiliation, or disrespect. Like alot of my fellow sisters, I have a lot of love to give...I just have to give it to the right person...and the first person I must give it to is ME. So in the end, in my competition I didn't lose...I won...you who entered me into play..you lost. So however, you have to get out of the game, do it..forfeit...press reset..whatever you do make sure it's GAME OVER.


Why do I play? I’d rather play alone
I can’t play the fool anymore, no
No, I don’t need a game anymore, you could play the fool
I’ma play my hero, you gonna be a zero
I’d rather play alone, I can’t play the fool anymore
I don’t need a game anymore, you could play the fool
I’ma play my hero, you gonna be a zero
I’m playing the goodbye game
...Chrisette Michelle

2 comments:

  1. i like this post, very insightful, and i can totally agree when i was dating i felt like i was always in competition to try and make sure that i made him no that i was the better choice, and no matter what i did the guy would always choose the opposite, so then i started realizing that if i'm working this hard for a guy to prove that i am the better pick, then it's not worth it, because I AM the better pick not because of looks, but because i am WORTH it, and i decided that i would never ever be in competition with anyone again but me, and i would be competing with myself to be a better me for me, and not anyone else!

    ReplyDelete
  2. excellent revelation! I totally agree the only person we need to compete with is ourselves, so that we can be better women, better people...the journey of life is just that a journey!

    ReplyDelete