Sunday, December 26, 2010

L.I.P (Live in Peace)...Effective Immediately

Today we lost a musical legend, Teena Marie. Facebook lit up with lots of statuses giving her praise, links to her songs, and praying for her peaceful rest in eternity. I am sure her record sales will increase starting tomorrow. I remember when Michael Jackson passed away, I bought several cd's, t-shirts, dvd, and it seemed like I couldn't get enough of MJ. Now, I have to admit I want to get a best of Teena Marie cd (yeah I am behind on technology...lol), but I have never bought her music before. I have always liked her but I never felt moved to buy her music. Why is we often see value in people and things when they are gone? This year I also lost two peers, who I considered friends. Facebook has been great for reconnecting and staying connected, but there is still nothing like the human connection. I recall one of my friends passing away the morning after I had spoken to him. We all know death is a part of life, but when it comes it always seems to side-swipe us. I am a spiritual person, so I believe that people (who are believers) are definitely in a better place when they leave this earthly place. Still, even the most spiritual person feels a sense of loss when our loved ones leave. I can only speak for myself, so I won't speak for you, but for me there is always a sense of unfinished business, unspoken words, things I should have, would have done...I remember when my friend passed, I thought about the several times we planned to get together when I would be in town, but for some reason it never happened....it was always "next time"...then it was too late.

As humans, we take tomorrow for granted. We assume tomorrow I will do this, tomorrow I will say that, tomorrow I will forgive, tomorrow I will stop this, tomorrow I will etc, etc...but tomorrow turns into days, days turn into weeks, weeks to months, months to years. There are 5 days left in 2010. This is the time of year when many people reflect on the past year and make plans and "resolutions" for the next year. We all have done it, "in january I will...." As the saying goes, why put off to tomorrow, what you can do today? Prior to hearing of the passing of Teena Marie today, I had been reflecting myself...like most of you, I was planning my "resolutions". Saying, "in 2011 I am...I will...I won't"...but 2011 is 5 days away...this is the mistake we make...assuming tomorrow will be here. I remember as a child, my grandmother would have me say a bedtime prayer "Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep, if I should die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take." This prayer gives reverence to God, acknowledges that tomorrow is not promised, and submits a request that God will allow us to rest with him when we leave this earthly place. There are alot of things in my life that must be resolved, effective immediately. I can't wait until 2011, I can't wait until tomorrow. Time to forgive, call a friend I haven't spoken to in a while, embrace those I love and that love me, remove toxic people and habits, have a little more patience with others, pray more, make the right people and the right things a priority, and find joy in each day. I am sure I will stumble along the way, but I will do my best to take advantage of today and not take for granted tomorrow. Still, I look forward to what is to come tomorrow and in 2011, if it is my will to see it.  When loved ones pass we often say R.I.P (Rest In Peace)...well, death is guaranteed but while I can I want to L.I.P (Live in Peace)...Effective Immediately. I pray for comfort for the family of Teena Marie and for all families who have lost a loved one, but most of all I pray that those who have passed on had found a way to live in peace.

R.I.P Teena Marie...L.I.P family and friends......

Jesus said
"I am he who supplies all your needs"
And you said
"I know, but tomorrow, ooh, tomorrow, ill give my life
tomorrow, I thought about today, but it's so much easier to say...Tomorrow, 

who promised you tomorrow,
better choose the lord today, for
tomorrow very well might be too late
.~The Winans



Now listen, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money.” 14 Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. James 4:13-14

No comments:

Post a Comment