Friday, December 10, 2010

The Kitchen Table

Like most homes, especially old homes, people always gather in the kitchen. Growing up in my home, people were always at our house and when they were there they were always at the kitchen table. I recall my mom sitting at the table with her friends talking, giving advice, or playing Bid Wist! Luckily, my mom didn't play eating all over the house, so we always ate at the kitchen table too. As a teen, there were many silent meals, but as I got older oh the conversations she and I had. Now, that I am an adult, I get to sit at the "grown folks" table and I cherish the many conversations that take place at the kitchen table. My mom is my best friend and I have received a lot of advice from her at that table and some of my closest friends aka her other "children" have also benefited from the blessings and wisdom that was given over that kitchen table. Dreams, hopes, fears, tears, laughs, and hopes have all been discussed over that kitchen table. So tonight, I'll just reflect on some of that advice and share some of it with you.

Like my momma always says...:

"Whatever choices you make, make sure you can live with the consequences."

"Trust God, not man...man will let you down, God won't"

"What God has for you, is for you"

"Don't ever let anyone make you feel like you aren't worth it, you are!"

"Nobody has to wake up with your life but you"

"Nobody is perfect. Everyone has their s%*!...even you"

"Find something in life that you are passionate about"

"Sometimes you have to just look in the mirror and say I'm beautiful"

"You can't help someone who doesn't want to be helped"

"You can't take care of others, if you haven't taken care of yourself"

"People and things can't make you happy"

"Don't give so much of yourself, til you don't have anything left"

"When people show you who they are believe them"

"You are not the lamb"


These are just a few bits of advice she has given me over the years. I hope it blessed you as much as it has blessed me. Next to God, my mother gives me strength. She is the strongest woman I know. She raised me as a single parent and always makes me feel like I was the greatest gift God created. In addition, she modeled the type of woman I hope to be: humble, giving, compassionate, loving, beautiful, stylish, resourceful, and trusting in the Lord at all times. I didn't only get nourishment for my body at the kitchen table in my home, but I also received nourishment for my soul...thank God for my mother and thank God for the Kitchen Table.


Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all.Proverbs 31:29









No comments:

Post a Comment